Assignment #1: The Learning Portfolio

Module learning: 
The goals that I had set for myself was to learn the correct way of writing a proper email and letter and to improve on my presentation skills. Throughout the duration of this course, I felt that I did not achieve my goal to improve in my presentation as I would still become very nervous while presenting. However, I did manage to learn how to write a proper email and letter. Other things that I learned during this course were how to write an annotated summary, using APA style for citations, the tone to use when writing a formal letter, how to use the correct platform to search for online articles or journals whilst improving my grammar and presentation skills. This module also allowed me to interact more with other students and being able to work with different groups of students taught me that teamwork is always the key to get things done faster and better. What I can do to further improve my communication skills are to read more articles or journals which will help me improve my grammar and also to make use of the knowledge that I learned to apply APA style citations and choosing the correct platform for any online researches in my future projects. I strive to continue improving my presentation skills by actively participating in more presentations so I can overcome the nervousness that I face.

 Project learning: 
Although the project focus was very straight forward as we had a guideline to follow, the flow of the project would not have been smooth if anyone in the group did not put in as much effort as the others. From the start of the project, my team decided on the area we would research and split the workload with one another. Everyone was willing to seek each other’s opinion and feedback on whether the article or journal was the one we were looking for. From this project, I was able to learn about everyone’s strengths and weaknesses. With this information, we were able to help one another with parts that we were not confident about. Most importantly, we were able to build a good relationship with one another which sped up the progress of this project. Through this experience, I learned a lot more about teamwork and made me want to work with other students so that we can learn about our strengths and weaknesses which will help us to improve further.

 The Presentation Showcase:  
The team that amazed me the most was Team Recyclable. Although we are from the same tutorial group, their presentation was so much more polished compared to their previous presentation. Everyone in the group was able to improve in such a short period of time. I really liked their idea of reducing plastic usage as it will definitely help the environment and the way the presentation was delivered by each group member equally. They made use of photos to further illustrate their ideas. For example, the pictures of metal cups alone gave me a better understanding of what they are presenting. Everyone that presented during this showcase did great but I would suggest that some teams could have a better usage of photos or videos to better illustrate their ideas.

Comments